So the Yo La Tengo scored movies were pretty cool. I didn't really know what I was going to see until I was there, but it turned out to be a series of underwater nature films with the volume turned down and the music provided by YLT. There were some inspiring moments, especially the music that accompanied the Sea Horse movie and the one about octopuses (or is that octopi). The French narration was translated and subtitled in English at the bottom of the screen and provided a few laughs. Those crazy frogs...

One movie was of ice crystals forming for about 10 minutes and YLT turned in one of their patented noisefest orgies. I use to find these terribly annoying, but at some point, after seeing them a bunch of times, I started finding it humorous. I like to watch the crowd reaction and see the people who are not as familiar with them get all fidgety and agitated. I guess it's my form of feeling like I'm in the "in" crowd....;) Other films were of mostly microscopic creatures, including tiny little jellyfish (I was bummed these weren't the classical jellyfish, as I know them).

Another thing I noticed, most of the films showed how the different sea creatures reproduced and I realized in nature, pretty much all the females get raped. The Sea Horses were an exception. The guy has a pouch, where the females puts her eggs and they get fertilized in there. The male then keeps them for a few weeks and ends up birthing the offspring. The film showed the males all going into labor which looked pretty funny since they're all over the place the whole time, and this can last for hours or days...

It was pretty much sold out and I didn't know it was general admission so I got there late and ended up sitting way up. The Somerville Theater seats were as always really cramped but I got to hang my legs off to the side...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wicked

Battlestar Galatica is on!!!

Slow comments on Movable Type?