This reminds me of the time I was on a ski mountain and this kid, must of been 9 or 10, asks me what time it was. We're standing right next to the lodge, with this big giant clock on it. I point to it, and say, "Dude, there's a clock right there...". He goes, "I can't read those types of clocks...". It was an analog clock.

I tell him what time it was, he takes off, and I'm left there in shock...



British Girl Baffles Teacher with SMS Essay
Sun Mar 2, 9:14 PM ET Add Technology - Reuters Internet Report to My Yahoo!

LONDON (Reuters) - An English essay written by a British teenager in text messaging short-hand has reignited concern among teachers that literacy standards are under threat.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on Monday that the 13-year-old's teacher could not decipher what the youngster had written.


"I could not believe what I was seeing. The page was riddled with hieroglyphics, many of which I simply could not translate," the teacher told the newspaper.


The teenager's essay which caused the problem began:


"My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we used 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 : kids FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc."


In translation:


"My summer holidays were a complete waste of time. Before, we used to go to New York to see my brother, his girlfriend and their three screaming kids face to face. I love New York. It's a great place."


Judith Gillespie, of the Scottish Parent Teacher Council, told the newspaper a decline in grammar and written English was partly linked to the text messaging craze.


"Pupils think orally and write phonetically," she said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wicked

Battlestar Galatica is on!!!

Slow comments on Movable Type?