BBC NEWS | Technology | More than just a pretty interface


Through interviews with Walkman owners and now iPod buyers, he found that listening to music acts as a shield, aura or cocoon.

Using headphones helps to keep the world at bay and reclaim some space.


I definitely use headphones during my travels to shield myself from a lot of outside influences. I put headphones on as soon as I leave my door in the morning, and don't take them off until I get to the office. I block out sounds from the subway, the 5 or so panhandlers I pass (sometimes I give, sometimes I don't), other people's conversations which I don't particular want to listen to, the endless army of City Year and MASSPIRG kids who want me donate all the time, and listen to music I want to listen to and not some (usually) crappy musician playing songs I don't care for in the train stations...oh, and all the crazy people who try to yell at you while walking...

BBC NEWS | Technology | More than just a pretty interface

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wicked

Battlestar Galatica is on!!!

Slow comments on Movable Type?